Life

Life

Friday, April 8, 2011

A Fun Day With The Kids

Before getting into the fun day here is an update on Tanzi for Day 8 in the NICU: Our day started by getting a message from one of Tanzi's doctors in the NICU just before Gary was ready to leave the house. This concerned us just slightly since we have never gotten a call from an actual doctor. The nurse practitioner calls everyday, but never the doctor. So, I called her back and she tells me that Tanzi is doing great and they are still increasing her feedings, but that they had an "incident" in the middle of the night. My heart sank. The doctor proceeded to tell me that they think Tanzi was given another woman's breast milk!! WHAT?! She apologized, but I didn't even know what to say...so I was silent. She rambled on about a few things and then told me their main concern is HIV. Great. Just what I needed to hear. Really?! She told me about re-screening me and the "source mother" for HIV, but she also told me the source mother could refuse to do the test. I really didn't know what to think! I got off the phone and thought, "That's just like me going up to a total stranger and saying, 'Would you breast feed my baby?' " SO NOT RIGHT! Gary asked if I was mad about it. Mad is not really the right word, so I just told him I definitely wasn't happy about it, but what could I do? It was done and we needed to move on from there. Well, shortly after Gary left the NP called and told me that they sorted things out and Tanzi was NOT given someone else's breast milk. I felt a bit of relief, but for some reason there is something inside me that doubts this. I know I should trust the care Tanzi is in, but that is not a mistake I want to think was overlooked. So, I'm trying to believe it was just a bit of confusion...on all parts and that it really is worked out!

Gary went down to see Tanzi by himself, since the other two kids are home for the weekend. I told him to leave the camera so I could take pictures of Kyri and Gray, so of course today is the day that Tanzi was awake most of the time Gary was there. He said she even smiled at him...a lot! I'm glad he got to be there with her. Other than that there were really no changes, besides her feedings. She is such a good baby and we really can not wait until the day when we can bring her home!!

I will admit that it was a little hard for me to not see Tanzi at all today. The only thing that made it worth it was spending ALL day with my other two monkeys! We really had a pretty fun day! The highlight? Playing outside in the snow...in April...of course!
The first snowman we made all winter AND spring! :)
After we put him together we ran inside to find things to use for his eyes, nose, and mouth and by the time we came back outside he was like ice and we had a hard time putting his face in. But we had fun nonetheless. And then he toppled over right after I took some pictures!!
We snuggled on the bed and watched Signing Time
Kyri and Graysen have been really fussy today. I'm not sure if it's lack of sleep over the last week and a half or just not being around mom and dad or a combination of both, but after we worked past the fussing we really had a FUN day!! I really tried to be patient with them because I know that everything that's going on is not easy for them either. I'm glad we have them for the WHOLE weekend!

0 comments: