Life

Life

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday April 15th - Day 15 in the NICU

Today I got to the hospital pretty early. That meant I was actually there when the surgery team came to take a look at Tanzi and see how she is doing. (They do this on a regular basis, but we have never been there for it) They said that she is right on track for what they expect. The doctor said he wouldn't even think about changing things for at least 3 weeks out of surgery, but probably closer to 4 weeks. Today has been exactly 2 weeks since Tanzi had her surgery. And then after 3 or 4 weeks we can start seeing if she's ready to get her feedings into her tummy. I asked them if the amount of output from her Anderson tube is normal and they reassured me that it is. While it's still way too much for making changes or thinking about taking it out, she is on track for the type of surgery she had. And then the doctor told me that the fact that Tanzi is tolerating her feedings is a VERY good sign....and that made me feel a little better. I tried to joke around a little with them, but the doctor never laughed...everyone else did, though, so at least I didn't feel like a complete idiot! It was good to actually see and talk to someone from surgery, since the last time we saw any of them was right after Tanzi had her surgery 2 weeks ago.


Here's Tanzi looking pretty pleased about the little pink puppy she got from her Uncle Dustin and Aunt Cassidy the other day! THANKS YOU GUYS!!
And I noticed the nurse put Tanzi's pink socks on the dog...probably because they stay on it MUCH better than they stay on Tanzi :)
Showing off her cute green outfit. The nurse apologized for not putting her into a girly outfit, but we actually really like this one!
And it was hilarious watching the male nurse practitioner trying to unsnap it so he could check Tanzi. I think he even said something like, "How do you get this thing undone? It has like 27 snaps!!" He made sure the bedside nurse and I snapped it back up :)
I LOVE this picture because you can't see any of Tanzi's tubes on her face...and for a fraction of a moment I forgot that life right now is not actually as peaceful as she looks.
Tanzi's monitor.
The top green number indicates her heart rate, the yellow one is her breathing, and the blue is her oxygen. The box in the bottom left corner is for the other baby that her nurse cares for.
Tanzi's monitor usually only beeps when she gets mad and gets her heart rate up in a hurry!
The other day Gary told me that all of Tanzi's pictures are starting to look the same.
She must have heard him and decided to pose for him!
Today my friend, Sharee, got married! I am SO glad I was able to go to her wedding! She was the most beautiful bride! And it was the first time I met her now husband, Brian. They make the perfect couple and I am SO happy for her! (Especially because now she'll live closer to me...selfish, I know :) )
And even though it was Sharee's special day she was SO concerned about giving us a baby gift for Tanzi. Part of that gift were these most precious booties that Sharee made!! We went straight back to the hospital and tried them on our Tanzi girl. We had to loosen the one that we put on the foot with the SAT probe, but other than that they fit perfectly!! She also gave Tanzi a super cute blanket she made (but I didn't take a picture of that yet)

2 comments:

Betsy said...

What a huge trail!! You guys are soooo strong!!. I love the everyday updates later this will be invaluable to you little family. Mauri-I loved you post about going to fast sunday and bawling, I would have been a wreck and that isn't my baby. I cried just reading it!! I am so happy she is doing well. I hope she makes a miracle recovery and you can take her home sooner than later!! My prayers are with you and your precious Tanzi!!

Jeff and Ali said...

So I feel bad I am just getting on to see what's been going on with Tanzi girl! What a rollercoaster you guys have been on! I am glad that she is getting stronger and healing well. We will continue to keep you all in our prayers. We are hopeful that you'll be able to take her home soon. You have been such troopers and so positive...what else would I expect from you guys though!! We love you and cannot wait to meet that precious little girl!