Life

Life

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Grandma Dora

My grandma passed away on Monday Nov 7th
We had her funeral yesterday.
What a great day of celebration!
Celebration of this wonderful, amazing woman and the life she led!
I am grateful for the time at her house during the summers growing up.
And I am extremely grateful for the time with her, as an adult, when she lived in Logan.
I remember one day she showed up at my work in Brigham City about a week after my birthday.
She felt bad about missing my birthday, so she drove to Brigham to surprise me...and to take me to lunch!
My sister, Tawn, recently reminded me of the time we were helping Grandma move and she needed some boxes. We went to the recycle dumpster in a nearby parking lot, climbed in and rummaged through all the cardboard until we found the perfect boxes.
Liquor boxes.
We knew Grandma would get a kick out of them, so we grabbed as many as we could find.
The County Jail Relief Society President has her precious belongings in liquor boxes.
Sure enough, Grandma got a good laugh out of it!

Great Grandma Dora and Kyri in March 2009
I had the opportunity to do Grandma's hair for the funeral.
I have never done anything like that before, but it was such an awesome experience!
I think I may have done her hair once before.
She always had her regular "beauty operator" and was quite particular about her hair.
I may not have fixed her hair perfectly, but I have a feeling she was pleased with the way it looked.
And I knew, while doing her hair, that she is so proud of me!


My Grandmother was a wonderful writer and left us books of her writings.
I have been thinking a lot lately about writing a poem in her memory. I have not yet put one together, but love the one she wrote and wanted read at her funeral.

Requiem
by Dora Mecham Imlay

Do not look down at me when I am dead
and sigh or cry.
I won't be there.
Look up and see me cameoed
In pleasure triumphs I have known--
In God, in country, and in home.
Strong sons, wise daughters and fine mates--
mortality's delights.
Pride of my life, my grandchildren,
Oh precious, precious boon.
See me in them!

Look up and celebrate with me
the shedding of this tattered gown--
long since threadbare.
See me beside my youthful mate,
Beauty as when I took his name,
Restored.

Do not look down!
Look up! Look up!
Oh see me happy!
Sing with me!


I am SO extremely grateful for the memories I have of this amazing woman and for the legacy she left!
Thank you Grandma, for helping make me who I am today!!
I love you!!

0 comments: