Life

Life

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Trip to Virginia

I spent 3 weeks in Virginia for work and while I was there I was able to get away and go to D.C. and Virginia Beach while I was there.  Work was great, but my adventures to D.C. and the coast were awesome as I had never been to either before.  

The day started off amazingly with a session in the Washington D.C. Temple.  It was absolutely beautiful.

 After the Temple, it was off to all the monuments, memorials, and museums.  

Jefferson Memorial

The Air and Space Museum was probably my favorite.  So may awesome planes and aviation history.  


A little disappointed with all the construction they had going on.  Wasn't able to get a very good picture of the Capitol.

The Natural History Museum was also spectacular with a lot of neat exhibits. 


The White House was cool to see.  

Washington Monument was closed to go in because of the earthquake last year.  

Lincoln Memorial was packed as was everything else.  It was expected though as I went over Memorial Day weekend.  


The Vietnam Memorial was awesome and the human statues were huge.  

Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial was really new and cool to see. 

I was on my way back to the car when I took this shot of the Jefferson Memorial with him shadowed through the pillars.  

I was exhausted after spending most of the day walking around.  I also went to the Art and Light Museum, American History Museum, and the Holocaust Museum.  I would have spent more time at the Holocaust Museum, but after serving a mission in Poland and actually being at Auschwitz, Birkenau, and a number of other concentration camps where the devastation actually took place, the museum didn't have as much of an impact.  



Virginia Beach
I spent a day at Virginia Beach, which was really cool.  It is a huge tourist and local destination to soak up some sun on some nice sandy beaches.  While I was there, the naval base had and air show with the Blue Angels and everything.  It was pretty cool to see them fly slow low over the water.  The battery on my camera died and I didn't have a charger so I didn't get any shots of of the planes :( 

The beach in the morning before all the people showed up.


There were a lot of nice hotels and a cool boardwalk along the beach that stretched for about 5 miles.  


My trip was great, but I missed the family and was super glad when I was able to finally see them again when I got home.  



1 comments:

Jolene said...

You got some GREAT pictures! I LOVED visiting WDC - it made me feel so patriotic and proud of our country and those who sacrificed so much. Glad you are back with your family now :)